In part 2, we are going to be talking about a variety of discussion groups and providing facilitation tips for each. The primary purpose of some groups is to test your knowledge or learn something new. A trivia quiz group, for example, asks concrete questions that have single right answers. “Who were the stars of the movie ‘Sound of Music’?”
Many groups combine learning and discussion. A discussion group based on ActivityConnection.com’s Front Porch Travels is likely to begin with reading about the location for that month, but eventually it gets down to experience and opinion questions:
- Have you ever visited here?
- What was it like? Talk about your experience.
- Would you go back, if you could?
- If you haven’t been there, is it a place you would like to visit?
- Have you ever visited someplace similar?
Most discussions begin with a topics that seems worthy of being discussed, a brief presentation about that topic, and an opportunity to react to the topic or share one’s own experiences.
This course has been pre-approved by the NCCAP.